Friday, July 13, 2012

The Hunger Games (#1 The Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins


Rating: 10/10
Summary: Katniss Everdeen is a 16 year old who lives in district 12 of Panem, governed by the Capitol. Each year, the Capital hosts The Hunger Games, a televised battle in an arena where 26 contestants fights for their lives and only one makes it out alive. Each district is to send two contestants, one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 to 18 who are chosen as part of a lottery; however one may volunteer himself for this dreadful position. Katniss is the only one in the history of district 12 to volunteer her self.
My thoughts: One of the best books I have read in a long time. This story portrays the world of child soldiers, who are raised and trained to fight, although the author blended this idea with the idea of a reality TV show. Part of our world still train children as soldiers and force them to fight for a cause they have yet to understand. The portrayal of the districts having no choice but to choose two contestants every year, shows the greediness and power of those in charge and how little the people affected by them can do about it all.  Not only has she toyed with this idea, Suzanne Collins, incorporated the idea of Reality TV shows, a form of entertainment our generation is so mesmerized by. Big Brother is watching!! By blending these two aspects together and weaving a story of courage and determination while staying true to your self, the author created a series that is both compelling, eye opening and very captivating.
I know this is a book review; however I must also mention the movie which recently came out. I must admit, I was extremely scared when I heard this movie was to be the next Twilight (don’t get me wrong, Twilight was interesting and true to the book), I was petrified that producers would turn it into a lovey dovey and fight for your honour movie and forget to include the horror and negative aspects this story is meant to portray.  Having loved the book so much, I knew I would never be satisfied until I saw the movie. I was definitely pleased with it, and feel that the producers did a wonderful job portraying the right emotions at the right time. Still, I would recommend reading the book, although for those you know who don’t read, the movie still holds a strong message and is worth seeing.
Quote p.281: “For a moment, the cameras hold on Peeta’s downcast eyes as what he says sinks in. Then I can see my face, mouth half open in a mix of surprise and protest, magnified on every screen as I realize, Me! He means me! I press my lips together and stare at the floor, hoping this will conceal the emotions starting to boil up inside of me.”


The Hunger Games series:
Also a movie!   

No comments:

Post a Comment