Friday, July 13, 2012

Catching Fire (#2 The Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins



Rating: 10/10
**Spoiler Alert** Please read book 1; The Hunger Games, before reading on. 
Summary: After Katniss is back from the Hunger Games, she quickly learns that uprisings and rebellions have started in many of the districts. Many of the districts see her as the symbol to the rebellion, however, with this year upcoming Hunger games being the 75th, the Capitol has an idea that to turn things into their favour. They host the Quarter Quell, where old victors from each district must go back once again to fight. Being the only girl victor, Katniss is automatically chosen. Alliances are formed with a few of the old victors, who are willing to sacrifice themselves in order to save Katniss.
My thoughts: Amazing sequel, the description of the arena, although different from the last is very well constructed. The characters have been extremely well developed, and Katniss’s character has lost little of her personality since the last book.
Having adored the first book, I could not possibly phantom how this author could keep this story captivating without repeating everything from the first book. To my surprise, Suzanne Collins is an amazing author capable of great things. Not only did she manage a way for them to re-enter the Hunger Games, but made the rebellion, which started at the end of the first book, remain the priority of the sequel.
Again I know this is a book review, however, I must mention the movie. While not released yet, I am once more petrified that the movie will not hold justice to the book. Gary Ross, the director to The Hunger Games, did a terrific job in keeping the movie as accurate and generating the right emotions at the right times. However, I do not know Francis Lawrence, the new director for the sequel, and can only hope that he will do just as well as his predecessor. 
Quote p.375: “My prep team. My foolish, shallow, affectionate pets, with their obsessions with feathers and parties, nearly break my heart with their good-bye. It’s certain from Venia’s last words that we all know I won’t be returning. Does the whole world know it? I wonder. I look at Cinna. He knows, certainly. But as he promised, there’s no danger of tears from him.”


The Hunger Games series:

No comments:

Post a Comment