Friday, July 13, 2012

Twilight (#1 Twilight series) by Stephanie Meyer



Rating: 8/10
Summary: Isabella (Bella) Swan, moves to Forks with her dad and falls in love with a very secretive boy, Edward Cullen, a 104 year old vampire. But when another clan of vampires visit the town, will Edward be able to protect Bella.                                           
My thoughts: I have to begin by explaining the back-story of how I came to read this book. I had heard a lot about the series. Having seen one of her books at the grocery store on special, I proceeded to buy it and read it. I could not understand why people liked it as much as they did; I was confused about the characters and the plot. Finally after finishing the first section, I put the book aside and decided that I could not continue to read this.  My friend showed up one morning before work and saw my copy of Breaking Dawn. She exclaimed!! “OH the fourth book of the series!!! Can I borrow it?” And that’s when I realised why this book made no sense to me.  Now, having started the book from the beginning my thoughts on this have changed.
I found the book to be very interesting and completely compelling. The idea of vampires hiding themselves amongst are world and trying to be as human as possible, is a romantic notion that seems to please the hearts of many young girls.
The characters were pretty good and I enjoyed the contrast between Edward and Jacob. You can sense that Jacob likes Bella, and the jealousy emanating from Edward.
I also enjoyed the addition of James, who after meeting Bella and see the protective stance of Edward, hunts Bella as a sport. This was a nice little twist to see the reaction of Edward, and what he would do for Bella.
Be aware, that the writing is still very simple and the author has not yet found her definite style of writing yet. The writing is however, still enjoyable.
Quote p.234: “I sat quietly, dazed, my thoughts incoherent. My hands were folded in my lap, and I was leaning weakly against the back of the seat. He still had his face in his hand, and he was as still as if he’d been carved from the stone his skin resembled. Finally he looked up, his eyes seeking mine, full of his own questions.”
Twilight series:
3. Eclipse
4. Breaking Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment