Friday, July 13, 2012

In Full Bloom – Caroline Hwang


Rating: 6.5/10
Summary:  The story revolves around Ginger a Korean-American working at a fashion magazine. Right at the beginning, with barely any chance to take a breath, Ginger’s mother arrives in town to find her a Korean husband. Wanting only to further her career, she finally agrees to allow her mother to find her someone suitable.
As the story evolves, so does Ginger, trying to understand being a Korean, born and raised in America, and its challenges within the family infrastructure. Not only are we taken for a ride in her personal and family life, we are equally immersed in her daily tasks at the fashion magazine.
My thoughts: Definitely a girly book, great for a summer read or to bring along on a vacation. When you need is a small glimmer of fashion, love (or lack of) and comedy.
The author adds more than enough comedy to keep the book light and interesting, and on your toes wondering what Ginger will decide at the end.
Quote p.214: “ – “It wasn’t a mistake,” I said to reassure her, wanting to stamp it in her brain that it would never be a mistake. Maybe I was reacting like a child, but my pact, my resolve, depended upon her being single too. “I would still be the way I am – except I’d probably like Korean men less.”
My mother jerked up. “You don’t like Korean men?”
I swallowed hard. In all of the morning’s deep reflecting, I hadn’t come to terms with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment