Friday, July 13, 2012

Deception (#1 The Vedeine Saga) by Ashley Strachan


Rating: 8/10
Summary: Amelia Powell is changed into a Vedeine (a demon) after a nearly dying. After living with her family for over a year keeping these changes a secret, she finally moves to Portland, Oregon, to live with others of her kind. Here she realizes that there is much more to being a Vedeine then what the women who changed her claimed there would be.  Soon after her move, Amelia unearths a web of lies and deception from those she thought cared for her.                                          
My thoughts: Wow! I must say I really enjoyed this story, at first I found it very similar to some of the vampire novels out there. The story definitely picks up once Amelia moves to Portland, the characters are amazing and wonderful and the imagery I get of their abilities is almost believable and I find myself wondering if I concentrated that hard, could I make fire come out of my hand?  The tested answer to that, sadly is no. No fire!L.
The name of the book lets you know that someone is lying, its takes the reader a long time to fully figure out who your suppose to be mad at. I had my suspicions, however I was pleasantly shocked a few times and the turn of events. It’s nice to have surprises and twist that the reader doesn’t expect, I find this doesn’t happen very often anymore.
As much as I loved this story and have already started the sequel (which is wonderful and I would say slightly better than its predecessor) I have a few things that irked me a bit with this story. I won’t go for too long about them as I know this is her first novel and the sequel has improved, however there is a part of the story that is dedicated to a romantic involvement with Robert, as I can understand this to be part of the story development, there were too many paragraphs of them kissing and the same feelings being repeated OVER and OVER again. I felt like after the 7th time I knew they were meant to be together.  As I have mentioned previously, in the sequel (read the next review to see my thoughts) the romantic aspects of the book are not as repetitive and seemed to move the story along nicely instead of feeling like they were there as blank fillers.
Alright, after this little rant. I do suggest if you like YA novels to give this one a go, it is nicely priced on Amazon, the sequel is also already out.  The author plans on writing 4 books in this series with the next coming out around September and the 4tharound January 2013. So this won’t be too long a wait to finish the series. J
Quote p.233: “Amelia wanted to hear his voice again, as nice as it sounded inside her head, it just wasn’t the same as when he spoke. His voice sounded like the most beautiful music ever written, reminiscent of a silk waterfall, or it would be if silk could be fluid and she was in love with it. If she were to be honest with herself, Amelia was in love with him, as impossible as it was.”

No comments:

Post a Comment